School of Social Sciences
Lecturer and Coordinator
Coordinator, Gender Studies Programme
Office: Rm 123, CELT Building, School of Social Sciences
Office phone: +679 3232 646
- GN400. Contemporary Feminism: Theory, Methods and Debates
- GN401. Gender, Global Change, and Development in a Comparative Perspective.
Research Student Supervision
I currently supervise postgraduate students’ research on women market vendors; women and housing; women and leadership in local government; and migration and cultural identities in the Pacific.
PhD, University of Hawai’I; MA, PGDip, USP; BSocSci (Hons), University of Waikato; BA, University of Canterbury.
My primary research interest is in gender and development with specific focus on women’s work and mobility. Current research is in the area of women and leadership in Pacific islands public sectors, and women in parliament. My previous work focused on brain drain in the Pacific and, women and commercial flower production.
I have taught gender and social science courses at USP, the National University of Samoa and the University of Hawai’i for 15 years and was a visiting lecturer at the University of Auckland in 2002. I became the Inaugural Pacific Researcher at the State Society and Governance Program (SSGM) of the Australian National University in 2009-2010. Since returning to USP in 2011, I lectured in DG413 (Gender and Development) and UU200 (Ethics and Governance) at the School of Government Development and International Affairs. I also served as a Pacific Scholar-in-Residence for the Pacific Program of the Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG), 2010-2013.
Liki, Asenati, and Slatter, Claire. 2015. ‘Women Candidates, the PR Electoral System and Media Representation in Fiji’s 2014 Election’, Journal of Pacific Studies, Special Issue (forthcoming: accepted 5 June 2015)
Corbett, Jack and Liki, Asenati. 2015. ‘Intersecting Identities, Divergent Views: Interpreting the Experiences of Women Politicians in the Pacific Islands’, Politics and Gender, Volume 11 Issue 2: 320-344
Liki, Asenati. 2015. ‘Women as Kin: Working lives, living work and mobility among Samoan Teine uli’, in , Bennett, Judy (ed.). Oceanian Journeys and Sojourns: Home Thoughts Abroad, Otago University Press, Dunedin. Pp. 126-159
Liki, Asenati. 2013. ‘Leading the March for Gender Equality? Women Leaders in the Public Services of Samoa and Solomon Islands’, in, Hegarty, D. and D. Tryon, editors, Politics, Development and Security in Oceania, ANU-E Press. pp: 139-147.
Liki, Asenati; Amosa, Desmond and Tauaa, Susana. 2013. ‘Women in Samoa’s Civil Service’, Small States Digest Issue 1, pp: 15-31. Commonwealth Secretariat, London.
Liki, Asenati. 2010. ‘Women Leaders in Solomon Islands Public Service: A Personal and Scholarly
Reflection’, Discussion Paper 2010/1. State, Society and Governance in Melanesia, ANU
Liki, Asenati. 2008. Encountering the remittance-dependent image of Pacific Islanders: the
case of Samoans at home and abroad, An Anthology of Samoan Writings. Vol 1. No. 1. University of Hawaii. pp: 34-48
Liki, Asenati. 2001. ‘Moving and Rootedness: The Paradox of Brain Drain among Samoan Professionals’, Asia Pacific Population Journal, Vol. 16. No. 1: pp: 67-84
Liki, Asenati. 2000. ‘Contemporary Responses to Commercial Flower Production Opportunities in Samoa ’, in, Bedford, R., R. Longhurst, and Y. Underhill-Sem, editors, Flowers, Fale, Fanau and Fa’aPolynesia. Asia-Pacific Migration Research Network Secretariat, Wollongong
- Nanau, Gordon; Naidu, Vijay; Liki, Asenati; Ruru, Donasina; and Taoaba, Taakei. 2014. Governance in the Delivery of Basic Education in Samoa. Samoa Report on the Study of ‘Governance and Basic Education Delivery in Fiji, Kiribati, Samoa and Solomon Islands’. A project commissioned by the Global Development Network and USP Research Office.
- Liki, Asenati. 2013. An Analysis of the Situation of Women in Samoa. A Report for the UN Women and Government of Samoa’s ‘One UN Gender Equality Program for Samoa’.
- Liki, Asenati. 2012. Status of the Millennium Development Goals in Samoa since 2005 . A Report for the Commonwealth Foundation, London.
- Liki, Asenati; and Kaitani, Mili. 2011. Child Labour in the Pacific: An Annotated Bibliography. International Labour Organization, Suva.